Websites that are not optimized properly face huge issues in the online market. A slow loading site gets bounced easily. Moreover, there are countless competitors for the similar products that you are promoting. Optimization in a proper manner can easily improve the search engine of your website in Google. Let’s take a look at these simple, yet effective website optimization factors.
Website optimization is the most important part of web development and maintenance. Unfortunately, it’s often overlooked by the webmasters. With the advancement of technology, it’s very important that a website performs well in the online market. If your site is not optimized, you won’t get the highest response that an optimized site can achieve.
Importance of Optimization of a Site
- A non-optimized site will load slowly, which is detrimental if you in a market with countless other competitors. Unnecessarily one has to wait till the loading gets completed. Sooner being disappointed one will start searching for alternatives.
- Optimization of a site improves search engine rankings of your pages in Google which leads to increased traffic. For details click here
How to Know the Speed of Your Loading Page?
Several online tools will help you to measure the speed and loading time of your pages. Our favorite two are:
- Pingdom Tools
How to Optimize a Website?
It’s never too late to improve your site speed and Google rank. To optimize your site, simple learn and implement the factors below.
While designing the layout of your website, you need to focus on its optimization as well for better performance. Follow these important steps to improve optimization.
- Use more colors than images.
- Use CSS font icons rather than images for increased speed and reduced stress on your server.
- Use text or CSS styling instead of images where possible.
- Use up-to-date languages such as HTML5 and CSS3.
This is the ideal place where everything can be controlled easily. Keep in mind these important factors.
- Do not have any unnecessary data in your HTML and CSS files.
- Merge your CSS styles into a single file. This will reduce requests and improve your load times.
- Combine smaller images into one using CSS sprites.
- Use images in JPG format than PNG format.
- You should optimize all your images by using photoshop. There are also a couple of sites on the web that you can help you. like https://tinypng.com/, https://kraken.io/ etc.
- All your external resources should be present at their path. Make sure there are no missing files.
- Instead of resizing images with CSS, reduce the original image’s dimensions with Photoshop.
Things to be Done After Web Hosting
You also can do few things after hosting.
- You can purchase a CDN (Content Delivery Network) service from MaxCDN, Amazon CloudFront etc. and upload your static components on their CDN.
- You have to write some important rules on .htaccess file
To enable keep-alive:
Header set Connection keep-alive
For Enable gzip compression:
mod_gzip_item_include file \.(html?|txt|css|js|php|pl)$
mod_gzip_item_include handler ^cgi-script$
mod_gzip_item_include mime ^text/.*
mod_gzip_item_exclude mime ^image/.*
mod_gzip_item_exclude rsp header ^Content-Encoding:.*gzip.*
For Force no caching for dynamic files:
Header set Cache-Control "no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, max-age=0"
Header set Pragma "no-cache"
Nowadays, optimization is the most important part of developing a website as in the long run optimization helps in speeding up your site and makes it easily accessible with a higher brand credibility ensuring the best returns on investment.
I hope the above guidelines will help you to optimize a website through CSS, HTML and will help in writing some code in the .htaccess file that can make your website run faster.
Stay connected for the latest updates.