Buying and selling websites is a fast-growing industry, and those who are already experienced in this arena can do so with little effort and earn a lot of revenue. To become successful in this, you’ll need to know six key strategies that will help you spot websites with potential for growth!
Entrepreneurs have been around for quite some time, but there is a special niche that they’ve taken on over the last few decades – and that is buying and selling websites. The practice is called ‘flipping’, wherein a discerning entrepreneur spots a website that has a lot of potentials, but is sold for a cheap price. He then buys the website and then ‘flips’ it, by selling it at the right time, to the right person, for a great price. It’s not an easy task and requires a keen sense of business considerations, but with some great strategies, you will pretty much have a great start in the business of website acquisition.
Six Helpful Strategies
- Look for sites that have targeted traffic for goods or services which you are already into. Traffic can be directed to your own business through this new site by way of email lists, advertising, or sales pages. Establishing your customer base is easy to do in this way, but it will require confidence in the idea that the traffic generated is of high quality. Avoid buying high traffic sites that require a lot of bandwidth and lacks in the kind of user you are looking into leveraging for profit because this might turn out to be a liability instead of an asset.
- Buy a website that will allow you to generate good advertising revenue. For this, no changes will be made to the site except to increase traffic and improve advertising performance. A website that has a lot of great content, but has low optimization will make for a great candidate.
- Keep an eye out for websites that can be quickly flipped. While this is risky, it also has a potential for big upside results as soon as you finish your required renovations. A great suggestion is a product with a reputable market and is looking to take off complete with owners that are looking to sell it and have little knowledge of SEO and online marketing. If you know which tweaks to try, you can very well turn it around into a double-figure sale in no time.
- Buy community driven sites. Sites that have forums peppered with good niche audience are practically a gold mine. Most sites like these are put up by hobbyists with no intention to profit from it. If it’s popular, bandwidth might be expensive, so they are usually willing to give a bargain price for it. Be careful when it comes to audience selection because it can be tricky to make money out of communities due to ongoing hosting fees. So choose a demographic that has founded high prices for keywords in AdSense, great value to advertisers, and an impressive range of affiliate products waiting to be marketed (especially if you sell the same stuff yourself).
- Watch out for the sites that operate in a popular keyword niche. Add to these sites that operate on keywords which can forecast to be popular. Keywords are important in driving search engine traffic, so if you can spot a trend before it picks up, then you can consider it to be valuable property.
- Eliminate the competition, or collaborate with them. If competition is a factor, consider buying them out or suggesting a merger to come up with a single enterprise. This will depend on your industry, and if it applies, then it would make for a great market dominance. Website hosting is a good example, with smaller hosts being purchased by larger fish in the sea in order to increase its sense of professionalism and stability.
Figure out which website flipping strategies will best apply to you, then go out and start searching for the best websites that you can look to flip now and in the near future!